During deciding on a water heater, we sometimes get confused about selecting the right voltage. In other words, what should be the right voltage of a water heater? This is a commonly asked question among the users. In this article, I am going to explain how you should choose the appropriate voltage for your water heater. After the read, you will be able to know about variations of the water heater in terms of voltage. You will also learn how to select the right water heater as per your situation.
110V or 120V tankless water heater
These are usually called mini tankless water heater. This type of water heaters is appropriate for a single faucet or fixture. Before you know the appropriateness of this kind, you should know the difference between commonly confused terms – 110V or 120V.
What is the difference between 110 volts and 120 volts?
These are the same thing. Electric appliances that are rated as 100V, 110V, or 120V can be connected to the same utility line. In the United States, the historical voltage rating is 100 volts. With time, this rating was changed to 110 volts to give the lights a brighter intensity. A final change in the voltage was taken a few decades back where the voltage was changed from 110V to 120V. According to the standards, the voltage of our utility line can fluctuate 10%. Therefore, you can get the voltage at your home from 108 volts to 132 volts. All appliances that have rated voltage within this range, can be operated with no issue.
Types of 110V/120V tankless water heater
This type of tankless water heater can be divided into two categories – plugin tankless water heater and shower head water heater. Plugin types tankless water heaters are sometimes called a single point of use water heaters. This type of water heaters is not that powerful. Therefore, a plugin type tankless water heater will be appropriate for a single fixture. On the other hand, showerheads are good options for you if you are looking for a dedicated water heater for your shower.
Feature and attributes of a 110V tankless water heater
- You have to install it near the fixture.
- This kind of water heater is not powerful. The wattage can be around 3 KW to 4 KW.
- The maximum flow rate is not that much. You can get a maximum of 1.5 GPM of water from this kind of water heater.
- Because of the lower capacity, only one fixture can be connected with this water heater.
- For a shower head water heater, the flow rate can be an issue if the groundwater is so cold.
- You do not need to customize the utility line to install the best 110-volt tankless water heater.
- The price of this kind of water heater is cheaper. The value for the money is great.
220V or 240V tankless water heater
These are more powerful than the 110-volt counterpart. As like the previous one, 220 and 240V are the same. Usually, this kind of tankless water heaters is divided into two categories – indoor installation and outdoor installation tankless water heater. Indoor installation 240-volt tankless water heater is suitable for you if you want to control the heater with convenience. Outdoor 240-volt tankless water heaters are a suitable option for you if you do not feel secure to install the water heater inside your home.
Features of 220V/240V tankless water heater
- This kind of tankless water heaters is powerful. Therefore, these are suitable for supplying hot water to the whole house.
- The wattage of this kind of water heater can be from 12 KW to 36 KW. Therefore, these are powerful machines.
- The maximum flow rate of a 240-volt tankless water heater can be as much as 6 GPM. Therefore, you can connect it to multiple fixtures. These are capable of supplying water up to 10 fixtures at a time.
- You can install it indoor or outdoor. If you are not comfortable with an indoor tankless water heater, you have the option to choose an outdoor one.
- This kind of tankless water heater is expensive. The installation cost is also higher. You need a professional plumber to set it up.
I think now you have enough knowledge about the relationship between the voltage and the performance of a tankless water heater. With this knowledge, you can now choose the perfect type of tankless water heater for your home. If you find this article helpful, you can share it with others. Have a good day.