Mangoes are delicious fruit when they are ripe. But what if you have a lot of mangoes but can not consume all of them before they get rotten? Dehydrating ripe mangoes is a great way to save them for the future. All of you may not have a food dehydrator for dehydrating fruits. Therefore, I am going to tell you the process of preparing dehydrated mangoes with an air fryer.
Nutrition value of ripe mangoes (160 Gm)
- Calories- 100
- Carbohydrate- 25g
- Protein- 1.5 g
- Fat- 0.5 g
- Vitamin A- 10 % of DV
- Vitamin C- 70% of DV
- Vitamin B6- 12% of DV
- Vitamin E- 10% of DV
- Vitamin K- 6%
Other than these, mangoes contain a substantial amount of, magnesium, copper, phosphorus and manganese. It also contains many different types of antioxidants that boost the immunity of the body.
Necessary appliances for mango dehydration
- Ripe mangoes – quantity depends on the capacity of the air fryer.
- Knife/ mango peeler – to peel off the skin of the mangoes.
- Air fryer – need to have the dehydration function.
An important note to mention is that not all air fryers can dehydrate. The air fryer should have the capacity to produce a temperature around 100F and the timer setting should have the option to set cooking for a longer time. The air fryer should have multiple racks so that you can dehydrate in large batches. Considering all these, below GoWISE USA air fryer is my recommendation if you do not already have one.
Dehydrate mangoes in the air fryer – Step by step
Below is the step-by-step process of how you can get dehydrated mangoes with your air fryer.
- Selecting the right mangoes is the first step of mango dehydration. The mangoes have to be ripe but not so soft. Otherwise, you will not be able to make them into thin slices.
- After you have picked the right mangoes, wash them properly before peeling the skin off. Use a very sharp knife to peel off the skin as the mangoes are slippery. You may also use a mango slicer.
- Cut the mango vertically and make long but thin pieces. The thickness of the slices may vary depending on the softness of the mango.
- After you have done making the slices, now arrange the slices of thin mangoes on the trays of the air fryer. Arrange them maintaining a single layer and keep some space in between the slices.
- After arranging the tray, set the temperature at 120F and dehydrate for 12 hours. You may flip the slices every 4 hours to get the best results.
- The dehydration time may be extended or reduced depending on the status. Therefore, you need to use your judgement and improvise the timing accordingly.
Can All air fryers dehydrate mangoes?
No, not all air fryers can be used as food dehydrators. For mango or any kind of food dehydration, the air fryer needs to provide a lower temperature of around 100-degree Fahrenheit. Temperature is the prime requirement that many air fryers do not fulfill.
Another requirement is a longer cooking time. The majority of ordinary air fryers will cook for a maximum of one or two hours. But mango dehydration requires around 12 hours to complete. Therefore, even if your air fryer fulfills the temperature requirement, if it cooks for a maximum of one hour, then you need to set the temperature every one hour. It is a tiresome job.
Suggested air fryer for mango dehydration
As I have mentioned that dehydration requires a very low temperature for a long time, not all air fryers can fulfill the parameter. You may visit our article to see the list of the best air fryers with the dehydrator. However, if you do not have much time, then I’d suggest GoWise 17 QT air fryer with the dehydrator. You can get a minimum of 120F temperature with it and cook for a maximum of 8 hours at a time. You may also check the best dehydrators under 100 bucks if you want to dehydrate on large scale.
How do you preserve dried mangoes?
Dehydrated mangoes should be preserved in an airtight jar or bag. If you preserve them in a plastic bag, then seal them using a vacuum sealer. If you are preserving the dried mangoes in a jar, then you can also create a vacuum with a jar sealer. After the sealing is done, then keep the mangoes in a dry and cold place.
The best way of preserving any dehydrated food including mangoes is to vacuum seal. You may take small quantities of dried mangoes that you will consume in a single serving. Then seal the mangoes with the help of an appropriate vacuum sealer. In this process, there will be no chance of mold formation by absorbing water from the air. You can keep the food for the longest period in this way. Below is our recommended vacuum sealer if you don’t already have one.
Dehydrated mangoes can be a good complement to your evening snacks. You can also surprise your kids with sweet and delicious dried mangoes. Primarily, mango dehydration may seem boring as it takes hours to complete the process. But you will get accustomed to it after doing it several times.