When we want to select something from a bunch of options, at first we look at it and then check the smell. The smell tells us a lot about anything. A good smell makes a better impression. On the other hand, a bad smell creates a negative impression of a person or a product. Therefore, anything needs to smell good. It’s also very important that we keep our house smell good. A good aroma of your house enhances the luxury of your living. A fresh and perfumed air of our house gives us a hotel and resort feel. In this article, we will discuss the reasons of bad odor at home and finally try to suggest you some tips and tricks on how you can get rid of bad odor and ensure good smell that creates a heavenly home.
Causes of bad odor
There are many reasons for bad smelling. You may already know many of the reasons, but follow us for better knowing.
- A damp towel or cloth is a source of the awful smell.
- Various home appliances such as washing machines, oven, food processor, meat grinder, etc can be the source of bad smell of your home. If you forget to clean any of these after using. It will not only create a bad odor but also can be hazardous for you.
- Dirty or damp kitchen sponge makes bad odor.
- A stinky sink pipe produces a fishy smell.
- Sweaty shoes and shocks can make a horrible smell in your house.
- Using external and excessive medicine can be a source of an awkward smell.
- Pets pee or poo are the common cause of a unpleasant odor.
- Water leakage or clogged water can create a bad odor.
- Filthy bathroom and grubby toilet is also a common cause of unpleasant smell.
- If you don’t clean your trash daily it also makes stinky smell in your home.
Steps to get rid of bad odor
Now we will highlight the habits you should grow to skip bad odor.
- Dust your home daily and open the window when dusting.
- Keep the windows open for a few hours every day for fresh cool air and sunlight
- Always clear the mold and mildew if it settles anywhere in your home.
- Remove moisture and make dry before you store anything.
- Always check the storage of your home, refrigerator pantry, and kitchen cabinet whether anything needs to be removed that is generating odor.
- Clean the trash every day. It’s better if you can do it twice a day.
- Always clean the sweaty boots and socks.
- If you get any kind of odor then try to find out the source and remove it as quickly as possible.
- Wash your cloth, pillow cover, blanket, rugs, carpets, and curtains regularly.
We hope that you could learn how to remove bad odor from your place. Now let us know some tricks to make a good smell in your home.
Tips and tricks to enhance aroma at home
Simmering of smelly herbs and fruits
Fill your pot halfway with water then add your favorite combination of herbs, fruits, and spices. Then boil it a couple of hours. You can also try it with your slow cooker but the recipe will be the same. If you want a combination then you can try- a) Sinnamon, orange and rosemary or b) cloves, cardamom, and lemon or c) lemongrass and vanilla. You can also add star anise or citrus pill.
Tricks for smelly garbage
Garbage bags, bin or baskets are the factories of bad smell particles. It produces odorous substances all the time. To prevent this from happening again, you should always keep your bin clean and dry. Clean the bin with hot water and baking soda. Keep a lemon soap in the bottom of the bin. You can also try a cotton ball with a few drops of your favorite essential oil. You can put lemon or lime rinds in the garbage bag to prevent bad odor.
Deodorization of carpets and rugs
We are quite familiar with the Stinky smell of carpets or rugs, especially if you have children and pets in your home. Only vacuuming is not enough to get rid of it. Sprinkle some baking soda and wait for at least 30 minutes and start vacuuming. This process will help you get rid of the bad odor and it will also disinfect the carpets and rugs.
It’s candle time
For deodorizing and making sweet smell you can use candles. Light a candle in your living space or bathroom. It will give you a nice and gentle odor all the time. You can also scatter some perfumed candles in your closet or drawers that produce a pleasant smell every time you open it.
Plant some plants
Plant some plants in your house. It will make the environment of your home clean and fresh. You can try some plants to freshen your air such as Jasmine, eucalyptus or some herbs. These can be a good choice for this purpose.
Care for air vents
Take good care of your air vent that can make your home atmosphere fresh and pure. Take over the vent’s metal slots and clean it properly. You can try enzyme cleaner to omit all the dirt and germs. Put some drops of essential oils in the vents. It will be good enough for the whole house to smell good.
Use dryer sheets
Try dryer sheets as a wipe for the sensitive surface. Place some sheets between the layers of clothes, cabinets and other storage space. It will give you a fresh aroma. You can also try it in your trash as well.
Take some charcoal in a pouch and hang it where you want to. It removes the bad odor gradually. No need to do any extra work to remove odor with charcoal. A small bowl of bamboo charcoal can always keep your bathroom air odorless.
Exhaust fan & windows
Install a good quality exhaust fan in the bathroom and kitchen. It helps you keep your air fresh. You can also try a big window in the kitchen and bathroom to get pure natural air and sunlight.
Chemical-free air freshener
To freshen the air, air fresheners are the most used item. Ordinary air fresheners are full of harmful chemicals that can be dangerous for your health. Make it on your own. Take a nice spray bottle and pour some rubbing alcohol and water in it. Add some drops of essential oil and it is done. Spray it when necessary and enjoy your favorite fragrance.
Bathroom cleansing is the hardest part of our cleaning life. Maintaining a good smell in the bathroom is more difficult than keeping it clean. Sometimes, a clean bathroom can smell bad. If you want a nice and fresh bathroom you can take some steps such as ensuring good airflow and ventilation, removing the mildew and damp particles, using good quality cleaner, keeping the toilet bowl brush dry and so on. However, you can use bamboo charcoal, scented candle, and toilet bomb to keep your bathroom environment aromatic.
Apply air purifier
Use an odor purifier to deodorize your home. If you have pets, then air purifier is essential for you. If you are using any appliance which produces smoke, then you must deodorize your room as well. Air purifiers work faster than any other methods.
Keeping a clean, fresh and aromatic home is a habit. I think now you know what you need to do to start practicing it and how you can get rid of bad odor. If you find the article useful, I recommend you to share it with your friends and family. Do not forget to tell us any of your experience regarding your home, kitchen and bathroom through the comment section. Happy home!