Potato chips that we purchase from the superstore contain excess sodium and fat. In this article, I am going to give you the air fryer sweet potato chips recipe that you can prepare at your home in just a few minutes. Why preparing potato chips in an air fryer? It does not contain excessive oil. As it is homemade, it is free from other harmful additive and preservatives as well. It is one of the easiest air fryer recipes as well. So, why are we waiting? Let’s get started!
Nutrition content in potato
- Calories – 85
- Carbohydrates –20 g
- Protein – 2 g
- Fiber – 1.9 g
- Fat – 0.1 g
- Sugar – 1 g
- Water – 75 %
Potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates. The majority of the nutrition content of potato is composed of this element. Therefore, people with higher blood sugar should not take potatoes in a higher amount. Potatoes are not a good source of fiber. However, if you can take it with the skin, then the fiber content may increase significantly. Protein content in potatoes is also low. Dried potatoes contain only 8-9% of protein.
Other than these, potatoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, B6, and potassium when the potatoes are in the raw state. With cooking, minerals and vitamins get damaged. Cook the potatoes with skin if you want to reduce the impact of heat on nutrition content.
Ingredients – What you need to cook air fryer potato chips?
- Sweet potatoes – 1 pc (medium size)
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp
- Paprika – ¼ tsp
- Canola oil – 1 tbsp
- Dried thyme leaves – ¾ tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Cooking spray
- Wash the potato before cooking. Dry it well before making the slices.
- Make thin slices having a thickness of around 1/8 inches. Use a sharp knife or use your mandoline to make the slices evenly cut.
- Now add the slices in a bowl of water. Soak the sliced potatoes for 30 minutes in the room temperature to reduce the excess starch.
- Now remove the slices for water and dry it with a paper towel. Now take the dried slices of potatoes in a bowl and add all the ingredients such as kosher salt, paprika, canola oil, thyme leaves, and black pepper. Toss these well to combine uniformly.
- Preheat the air fryer at 360°F for 3 to 5 minutes. Preheating is important to get an even and uniform output.
- Coat the cooking pot of your air fryer with cooking spray. If the pan has a nonstick coating, then you may limit the spray. Try to put the slices in a single layer. If the air fryer you are using has multi-layer racks, then use all the surfaces to maximize the cooking capacity.
- Now cook the potatoes at 360°F for 20 minutes. You can shake the basket halfway through to make sure uniformity.
- You can cook in batches if the air fryer has a limited capacity. Repeat the same process to cook the remaining potatoes.
- Before serving, cool the slices completely. It will be crispier as it cools.
Best air fryer for cooking sweet potato chips
The surface area is an important factor for the air fryer that you use for preparing potato chips. The more the surface area of the air fryer, the more you can cook in a single batch. Therefore, when choosing the best air fryer for potato chips, you should not focus on higher quarts. Rather, find the best air fryers with multiple racks. If you are living in a small family or you are a single person, then you can choose Chefman air fryer 6.3 QT. Apart from preparing chips, you can use this as a dehydrator. If you are in a large family, then COSORI 32-quart air fryer will be the perfect choice for you. It is an air fryer and toaster oven combo. Therefore, you can do a lot of things with it.
Can you cook this by yourself now? If you find this air fryer potato chips recipe helpful, you can share it with others. Although it seems easy to cook, you may fail to attain the perfect crispness in your first few attempts. You should not give it up and I hope you can cook it perfectly in the next try. Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates. Therefore, if you have higher blood sugar, then limit your consumption.