Tofu is one of the foods that spark debate. The majority of the people agree that it has a lot of health benefits but some others argue that it is a genetically modified food. Whether it is good or bad for health, the taste of this popular Chinese originated food is liked by so many people around the world. In this article, I will guide you on how you can prepare air fried tofu at home with your air fryer. I will also discuss the nutrition contents of it so that you can understand what you are getting out of it.
Nutrition content of tofu
Ingredients – Air fryer Tofu
There are only two ingredients to prepare air fryer tofu – seasoning ingredients and the tofu itself. Seasoning ingredients may include low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, paprika, and anything else you like.
- 1 lb of tofu cut into 1” cubes
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Onion powder – ½ tsp
- Sea salt – ½ tsp
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp
- Liquid aminos – ½ tsp
- When purchasing tofu from the supermarket, buy the firmest one. Before air frying, squeeze the moisture out of it to make it firmer.
- If you want to get a creamy inside, you should marinate the tofu for a few minutes. Do not just toss the tofu in some salt and oil and start air frying right after that.
- If you do not like to much spice, you can marinate the tofu with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Otherwise, you can marinate it with all the ingredients I have mentioned.
- After the marinating is done, you can put the tofu into the basket of the air fryer. Keep the cubes on a single layer to get the best results. If you have too many cubes, then cook in several batches if you cannot accommodate these in a single batch.
- After you start cooking, do not forget to toss the basket for few times to make sure evenly fried tofu. When the air fryer is on the operation, you can directly remove the basket without touching the temperature and time buttons. After tossing the tofu, when you set the basket again, the time and temperature will just resume.
- What should be the temperature and time? Well, if you want it to be chewy, then you should cook it for 20 minutes at 400°F. But if you like a crust outside and tender inside, then cook it at 390°F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Do not forget to preheat the air fryer. It will ensure uniform heat circulation throughout the food.
Can you cook your air fryer tofu at home now? Let me know in the comments. You should not necessarily stick to my recipe. If you think I have suggested too much spice, then make your customized recipe based on my suggestion. If you find my article helpful, you may share it with others. Happy cooking!