If you name one food that we produce with an air fryer, then the French fries will come first. French fries are very common that we prepare with our air fryer now and then. Although the recipe is very simple, it may seem quite difficult for beginners. In this article, I am going to demonstrate you how you can prepare crispy and crunchy French fries with an air fryer. After the read, I hope you will be able to prepare it on your own.
Before the demonstration, let’s find out the nutrition facts of air-fried French fries. The table below shows the comparative nutrition content of air-fried and deep-fried French fries of 100 gm serving.
|Nutrition Content||Air Fried French Fry||Deep-Fried French Fry|
|Carbohydrates||37 g||37.5 g|
|Dietary fiber||3 g||3.5 g|
|Fat||2 g||17 g|
|Protein||3 g||3.8 g|
|Sodium||40 mg||194 mg|
|Potassium||0 g||550 mg|
|Calories||226 cal||316 cal|
From the chart above, it is evident that air-fried French fries are less in calories and fat. Therefore, it is healthier than traditional deep-fried French fries.
- Potato – 1 medium size
- Vegetable oil – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper – as per the taste
- Kosher salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Nonstick spray – if needed
- Garlic powder – as per the taste
First, you have to preheat the air fryer. This is important that you preheat an oven before cooking anything to get uniform cooking. If you have a preset mode in the control panel for preheating then select it. Otherwise, select the highest temperature (ideally 400F) for 5 minutes.
Cut the potato vertically to give it a rectangular shape. The slices should be thin. If you have a mandolin then use it to get uniform pieces. Take the sliced potatoes in a bowl with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Toss the potato with the ingredient.
Now take the seasoned potatoes in the basket of the air fryer. Do not let it to overcrowd. Set the temperature 350F and cook for 15 minutes. Do not forget to shake every 5 minutes.
Reheating and storage
Air fried French fries are the best when served fresh. But you never know the situation. If it required to store, you can get back the previous crispiness by reheating it. Air fryers are a popular kitchen appliance that gets back the crispiness of old soggy food. If you have the reheating preset parameter, then apply it. Otherwise, set a lower temperature if you have to set the parameter manually.
Some bonus tips
- There are various kinds of potatoes out there. The taste of the French fry varies with the kind of potato you are using. Therefore, you can try with different kinds of potatoes to find out a suitable taste for you.
- Should you peel the potato off before slicing it? Again, you should experiment with it. There is no definitive answer to it. Which one you find better; you go for it.
- Try a different kind of spices. Other than garlic powder and black pepper, you can also try paprika, chili powder, and so on.
- You can serve the French fries with dipping sauce or ketchup.
- If you have a non-stick food basket with your air fryer, you may not add any oil with it. Oil saves the potatoes from sticking to the basket. Therefore, using a little nonstick spray will be good enough. It will hinder the potatoes to stick together.
Read about top 7 air fryers that cost below $50.
Potatoes are full of carbohydrates and energy. If you do not add oil and cook it with an air fryer, it does not mean that you can consume any amount. To burn the calories of 100gm of the air-fried French fry, you will have to run for about 20 minutes. It is not an easy task. Therefore, prepare it in different ways, but never overeat.