When we think about the water heater, few options come into our minds- gas or electric water heater, storage tank or tankless water heater and so on. Among all the options we have, most of us will look for the best electric tankless water heater because of many reasons. The tankless electric water heater is sometimes referred to as a point of use water heater because these heaters do not preserve the hot water inside the tank. These heaters do not have any storage tank in it. Tankless water heaters are good for a small or medium house if you want to cover the whole house with one single hot water source. After reading the full article, you will be able to choose the best tankless electric water heater that is perfect for your utility. I have written another article on 110 volt electric tankless water heater. If you have a minimum level of consumption, you can also check our best list.
Tankless water heater
When a water heater is installed directly with the waterline, having no water tank, then it is called a tankless water heater. Water is passed inside the heat exchanger of the heater, and heat the water on-demand basis.
- Energy-efficient- does not need to heat a whole tank of water to start supplying hot water; therefore, no ‘standby loss’.
- Less wait time- it can instantly supply hot water. Tank type heater usually needs substantial time to heat the whole tank water first.
- Unlimited water supply- unlike a tank-type water heater, a tankless water heater can supply unlimited hot water.
- Less space is required to set it up and install
- Temperature control is much better
- The initial cost can be up to 4 times higher compared to a tanked water heater.
- Most of the tankless water heaters are not suitable for intermittent use because the sensor cannot detect the water flow instantly. So, there is always a 1-3 second delay.
- Sometimes, a tankless water heater cannot supply hot water more than a pre-rated speed.
Is a gas powered tankless water heater better?
It depends on various factors. If your water consumption is more and you live in a big family, then a electric tankless water heater may not be suitable for you. Below are the benefits and disadvantages of a gas tankless water heater that will help you understand better.
- High GPM: these kinds of water heater can supply with more flow rate ( 8GPM or more).
- Because of the higher capacity of hot water flow, these are suitable for a large house or commercial water consumption.
- Gas water heaters require more maintenance than an electric water heater.
- Inspection by a professional technician is highly recommended for a gas run tankless water heater to make sure that the gas combustion is running perfectly and safely.
- Exhaust gas venting is a problem.
Our Top Pick – Best electric tankless water heater
- Bosch Tronic 3000 T
- Ecosmart ECO 27
- Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus
- Titan SCR2 N-120
- Rheem RTE 13
|Model||Bosh 3000T-7G||ECO-27||Stebel29+||Titan N120||Rheem 13|
|Flow rate@105F Output||Not Specified||2.7GPM @37F Input||3.1GPM @42F Input||Not Specified||1.53GPM @40F Input|
|Temperature||65-145F||80-140F||86F - 140F||65+F||80-140F|
|Dimension (inch)||17 x 17 x 14.5||17 x 17x 3.75||16.5 x 4.6 x 14.5||10 x 2.5 x 7||4 x 9 x 13|
Bosch Tronic 3000 T [ People’s choice]
Bosch is the renowned German brand. They produce high-quality home appliances. Bosch has three mini-tank water heater variants in terms of size- 2.5, 4 and 7 gallons. Out of these, I found that the 7-gallon version is the best considering value for the money. An important point to note is that these products are not purely tankless. But considering the size of the unit and the pattern it gives output water, these are very similar to a tankless water heater. Below are some of the key features of this unit:
- Electricity input: 14.4 KW, 120V, 12 A Max
- Output water temperature range: 65°F – 145°F
- Output water flow rate: Not specified
- Dimension: 10 x 10 x 16 inches
If your water consumption is not that much, you want a reliable tankless water heater from a reliable brand, then we must suggest you Bosch Tronic 3000T. Also, if you think that you need a boost to your existing water heater which is not giving you enough support, then this unit will be a good addition for you. The price point has made it unbeatable in the competition.
Ecosmart ECO 27 [Editor’s choice]
ECO 27 is probably among the most popular tankless water heater in the market. ECO 36 is another version similar to ECO 27. The only difference is the higher electricity input needed for the later version. For this reason, if you need a bit more water flow rate ( more output) you should go for the later one.
- Electricity input: 27KW, 240 volt, 112.5 Amp maximum
- Output water temperature range: 80°F – 140°F
- Output water flow rate: 2.7 GPM when the input water temperature is 37°F, the output water temperature is 105°F. The maximum flow rate is 6 GPM at a lower temperature.
- Dimension: 3.6 x 17 x 17 inches
- Activation flow rate: 0.3GPM
Even though with some negative comments from the users, Ecosmart ECO 27 is one of the widely used tankless water heaters in the market. Considering everything, this one can be the best electric tankless water heater.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus [Best control over temperature]
Stiebel Eltron is the pioneer brand in the field of the heater and thermal equipment. The German company produces a good range of tankless water heater which are among the top three in the market. We have researched a few best-selling models and picked the perfect one on our list, which is Stiebel Eltron Tempra 29 Plus model.
- Electricity input: 28.8 W, 240 Volt, 120 Aam maximum
- Output water temperature range: 86°F – 140°
- Output water flow rate: 3.1GPM @42°F Input and 105°F Output Temperature
- Dimension: 5 x 4.6 x 14.5 inches
Stiebel Elton is specialized in heating equipment and it is a renowned European brand. This unit will give you output water which will be more precise in terms of temperature control than other renowned water heaters in the market. Therefore, if you have some extra money then we will recommend you to buy this unit.
Titan SCR2 N-120 [Best Value for money]
Titan N 120 has very good customers’ ratings in different marketplaces. Although this unit is not as popular as our previously reviewed models, after we researched considerably, we can say that it can certainly create value for you if it suits your needs.
- Electricity input: 220V, 54 Amp maximum
- Output water temperature range: 65 + degree F
- Output water flow rate: Not specified
- Dimension: 8 x 9.6 x 12 inches
If you live in a medium home, looking for a trustworthy tankless water heater with a moderate price, then we must recommend you to buy this model. Considering price and equivalent quality, we have pick this one in our list of best electric tankless water heater.
Rheem RTE 13 [Best for backup]
Rheem Manufacturing Company is nearly 100 years old American company specialized in heat and refrigeration equipment. RTE 13 is the most popular and highly rated tankless water heater of the company. This product is compatible with a single shower or kitchen sink uses. However, there are higher capacity models RTE 18 and RTE 27 which are appropriate for higher capacity usage.
- Electricity input: 13W, 240 Volt, 54 Amp maximum
- Output water temperature range: 80°F-140°F
- Output water flow rate: 1.53GPM @40°F Input and 105°F Output Temperature
- Dimension: 4 x 9 x 13 inches
- Activation flow rate: 0.3GPM
If you do not have much water consumption or thinking of a backup water heater of a good brand in a low budget, then I recommend this unit.
This will indicate the capacity of a water heater. For example, for a shower, the average flow rate will be about 1.5GPM. Therefore, if you want coverage for only one shower, then you must see what is the minimum flow rate of the water heater. At a warmer water temperature, your tankless water heater might give you a better flow rate. But I recommend you to check the flow rate at a colder environment.
This is a very important feature of a water heater to know before you buy it. For example, you want the water to be very hot for your cooking purpose and your water heater can not supply water more than 105°F then you’ll be in trouble. Therefore, make sure about the maximum temperature that your heater can provide you before buying.
Sometimes you might need to control the temperature of the water precisely. For example, you need to control the temperature change within 1 degree. Therefore, make sure that your water heater can serve you this before you buy it. Another important aspect is, for precision control, you must need to see the temperature in a digital display. Do not forget to check this as well.
Electric consumption and efficiency
If you do not have much consumption but still want a heavy machine, you must have to pay extra on your electricity bill. The reason is that water heaters with higher flow rates come with higher electricity consumption ( higher KW rating). Therefore, when you buy, check the KW rating as well. If you find a lower rating which can serve your minimum requirement, then it’ll be better for you if you want to save some money in electricity bills.
The place to be installed
Not all tankless water heater looks the same. Some are compact and slim, some look cubic. Therefore, when you buy one, you must keep in mind about the place you are going to install it and choose your machine accordingly.
Smaller machines are generally easy to install. But there are some water heaters which need some special requirements such as, 240 V electricity, higher Amperage, special electrical cord, etc. Before you buy your heater, we recommend you check installation requirements carefully and choose your machine.
Incoming water pressure
There is an incoming water pressure limit for every tankless water heater up to which it can work. For example, if this limit for the machine you intend to buy is 160 psi, you need to check whether it is below the water pressure of the line you are going to connect it. You need to add a pressure control valve if you find the water pressure of your water line is more than the limit of the machine.
You have to keep in mind that most of the renowned tankless water heater will give you at least 6 years of warranty. But check the terms and conditions to be eligible for warranty claim. For example, you might need to install the machine by the company employed technicians as a term of the warranty. Therefore, you need to know there beforehand.
We have given a lot of effort to shortlist the best of the best electric tankless water heater. After finding the list, we have done extensive research on each model to find the suitability for the users. There is no doubt that each of the models we have reviewed is good to go. But users have different kinds of needs in terms of their utility pattern. Therefore, we tried to give an extensive and comprehensive idea so that readers do no mistakes while finding a suitable product. We expect that you leave a comment after reading our full article.