Dehydrated okra is one of the most popular food items among the vegetable lovers. It may not seem to be easy for many of you to prepare this at home. In this article, I am going to show you how you can prepare dehydrated okra in an air fryer. After the read, you will know the recipe with proper ingredients, temperature, and time parameters of the air fryer for perfect dehydration. Before I discuss the process in detail, let us first know the food value of okra.
Okra nutrition facts (100 gm)
- Calories – 33
- Protein – 1.9 gm
- Fat – 0.2 gm
- Sugar –1.5 gm
- Fiber – 3.2 gm
- Carbohydrate – 7.5 gm
Although a vegetable, okra is rich in carbohydrates. Other than the mentioned nutrition contents, okra contains different kinds of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It contains vitamin C, A, K, thiamin, folate, and B6. Mineral contents include potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron, copper, and phosphorus.
Researchers found that okra has many different health benefits. It can fight breast cancer. Okra is good food during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It is also good food for osteoporosis and diabetes patients. Other than these, it is also found that okra is good for heart health.
Dehydrated okra ingredients (seasoned)
- Okra – 2lbs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Onion powder – ½ tsp
- Dried oregano – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 2-3 tablespoon
Dehydrated okra preparation steps
- Select the young okra to make them dehydrated. Wash them before you proceed. After washing is done, spread them on an open space to dry out the water.
- Take a bowl and mix all the seasoning ingredients. Now add the washed and dried okra in the jar and mix well. The seasoning ingredients are good for preparing other dehydrated vegetables such as avocado, zucchini, and do on.
- Now you may add few drops of olive oil. Let the mixture to be seasoned for a few hours.
- After the seasoning is done, spread the okra pods on the racks on your air fryer. Make sure you have stacked them in a single layer and keep enough space to circulate the hot air.
- Set the temperature of the air fryer at 130F and dehydrate for 24 hours. If the pods are not crispy, then run the air fryer a few more hours at the same temperature.
- Finally, if you are satisfied with the texture, enjoy the food!
Suggested air fryer for dehydrated okra
Not all air fryers can dehydrate okra or other vegetables. As I have mentioned, it requires 130°F temperature to dehydrate okra. A regular air fryer can reach 170°F only. I would suggest you read my article to find the best air fryer for dehydrated okra. There you will find a few preferred suggestions. If you dehydrate food very frequently, then try to get the air fryer with multiple racks. Otherwise, a regular 6-quart air fryer will do the job.
I think next time you will be able to surprise your family with a new snack that I have just taught you to prepare. Many people do not season it while dehydrating. But I have seen that seasoning may increase the taste in many folds. However, if you do not like seasoning, you may try without any ingredients and let me know how it tastes.